Есть такой замечательный сайт - Perfect Sound Forever (Чтобы увидеть ссылку вы должны зарегистрироваться). На нём находится огромное количество интересных интервью с группами и исполнителями, как известными, так и андерграундными. И есть отдельная колонка, где публикуются опросники - музыканты должны назвать 10 своих самых любимых групп. Почитать, конечно, очень интересно и познавательно

Спойлер
Favorite Music of our Interview Victims

King Sunny Ade

I.K. Dairo
James Brown
Brook Benton
Jim Reeves
B.B. King
Duke Ellington
Nat King Cole
Alhaji Haruna Ishola
Tunde Nightingale
Ojoge Daniel
Roy Chicago
I admire all musicians that I've met in my life. I really, really appreciate their attitudes towards me. I somewhat believe in traditional musicians, most of whom are dead now (Ishola, Nightingale, Daniel, Chicago). James Brown is the godfather even back in Nigeria. My father played us a lot of music like Nat King Cole, Duke Ellington and Frank Sinatra- we couldn't make ANY noise while he played them or he would deal with you. I love every good musician who is really playing his own music.

Afrika Bambaataa

James Brown Revolution of the Mind- Live At the Apollo, Volume 3
Sly and the Family Stone Stand, Greatest Hits
Marvin Gaye What's Going On
Curtis Mayfield Curtis Live
The Rolling Stones Greatest Hits
Public Enemy It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back
Gary Newman "Cars"
It's hard for me to say 'cause there's so many different fields of music that I love so much. I also like salsa.

Terry Allen

Captain Beefheart Trout Mask Replica
Bob Dylan Blonde On Blonde
Laurie Anderson Big Science
Lou Reed (everything)
Dave Alvin Blackjack David
Jo Carol Pierce Bad Girls Upset By the Truth
Joe Ely
David Byrne
I always loved Beefheart. Just the nerve and courage he had at the time that he did it was huge, much more to me than Zappa. I just the got the Alvin record and I've been playing that a lot. I like everything that Joe (Ely) and David (Byrne) has ever done. They're my two favorite stage performers of all time. I think the reason for that is I've never been with them where they're playing a new song that they didn't play it with the same intensity that they'd be playing it on the stage. They'd go for broke every time. I think that energy totally shows up on stage.

Ron Asheton (The Stooges)

Pharoah Sanders Upper Egypt
John Coltrane Cosmic Music
Jimi Hendrix Are You Experienced?
Rolling Stones Aftermath
The Doors The Doors
New records? Don't listen to 'em. Don't really care. I just don't care about all the new female singers. I don't wanna know what you ate for breakfast and that you got up. FUCK YOU! The only way I could watch MTV was when Beavis and Butthead was on, when they ripped everything apart.

Robert Ashley

David Behrman
Alvin Lucier
Stockhausen
Luciano Berio
Luc Ferrari
Jacque Diennet
Jean-Luc Terminarius
Michel Redolfi
Michelle Pascal
Olga Neuwirth
There must be dozens more that I don't know but these are the people that who I know that I really like. There are also so many young composers in America that I like: Maggi Payne, Sam Ashley. At the same time, I think it's so sad that the situation in America is so conservative now that we have no idea about what's happening in Europe. We don't even hear of pieces that were written by people of my age like Berio and Stockhausen.

Bachir Attar (Master Musicians of Jajouka)

Rolling Stones
Beatles
Van Morrison
Blondie
Neville Brothers
Richard and Linda Thompson First Light Oh my god, they're very good
Jimi Hendrix
Prince "Purple Pain"
Genesis P-Orridge
The Nitecab (El Mady, he's a great guitarist who's not playing anymore)
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
Ornette Coleman

Eric Bachmann (Archers of Loaf)

Pogues Rum Sodomy and the Lash
Tom Waits Swordfishtrombones
Erik Satie
Hank Williams Greatest Hits
Bruce Springsteen Nebraska
Ennio Maricone (early stuff- before Once Upon A Time In the West)
Brian Eno Discreet Music
Brian Eno Another Green World
Peter Guthrie
Richard Pryor
It might sound a little pretentious to include Satie but what the hell. Richard Pryor is good to have around so I can laugh at something. (ED NOTE: We didn't get a whole list from Archers drummer Mark Price but he did say he was a big Magnetic Fields fan)

Blixa Bargeld (Einstürzende Neubauten)

Neu! Neu!
Can Tago Mago
Velvet Underground
Exuma the Obeah Man
Les Maitres-Tambours du Burundi (French recording of the original Burundi drumming)
Pete Seeger "The Goofing Off Suite" (my favorite record of all time)

Lou Barlow (Sebadoh)

Black Sabbath Masters of Reality
Nuggets
Pebbles
Back From the Grave
Byrds Younger Than Yesterday
I like songs (more than than records) and there's just so many songs that I like. I'd rather just listen to the radio or play a song on my guitar. What I think is a great record today, I might not think is a great record tomorrow. There's certain things that are great but I've totally burnt out on them. I'd rather listen to my compilation tapes that I made of all my favorite songs.

The Bats (Robert Scott)

Wire Pink Flag
The Stranglers No More Heroes
Television Marquee Moon
Velvet Underground White Light/White Heat
Harmonia Musik Von Harmonia
Kate Bush The Kick Inside
Bert Jansch Jack Orion
Nic Jones Penguin Eggs
Suicide 1st lp
Amon Duul II Yeti

David Behrman

Henry Cowell "The United Quartet"
Jean Sibelius "Symphony no.4"
Morton Feldman "The Turfan Fragments" performed by the SEM Orchestra
Bob Ashley "Private Parts" performed by "Blue" Gene Tyranny
Igor Stravinsky "Symphonies of Winds"
Lois V Vierk "Red Shift"
Maggi Payne "Lunar Earthrise"
Yuji Takahashi "The Wind is Calling me Outside", performed by Kazue Sawai
Phill Niblock "Five more String Quartets" performed by the Soldier Quartet
In earlier decades I spent lots of time listening to recorded music, but that has changed in the Nineties... I think one reason is that (being a New Yorker) I have stopped driving... it seems that only in a car these days is there time for relaxed listening to music. The other thing about living in New York is that there are always interesting live performances to seek out. And in general I prefer attending live performances to listening to recordings. If there were 96 hours in a day I'd do both.

Tim Berne

Julius Hemphill Dogon A.D.
George Russell The Jazz Workshop
Lutoslawski 'Cello Concerto'
Sonny Rollins What's New
Miles Davis anything from the '60's (esp. Miles Smiles with 'Freedom Jazz Dance')
Anthony Braxton
Aretha Franklin I Never Loved A Man The Way I Loved You

Joe Baiza (Saccharine Trust)

James Blood Ulmer Freelancing
Television Marquee Moon
The Meters Second Line Strut
Charlie Parker Savoy and Dial recordings
Gang of Four Entertainment
Pat Martino Baiyina (The Clear Evidence)
Sergei Rachmaninoff “Rachmaninoff plays Rachmaninoff
Charles Mingus Mingus at Antibes
Walter Wanderley Rain Forest
The Fall Live at the Witch Trails
Too bad only 10 can be chosen but all this brings to mind my first real listening experience. I must have been about 2 or 3 maybe 4 years old and every morning I’d wake up very early, well before my mother, and watch our big giant black and white TV. This thing was like a big block shaped piece of furniture. I’d take a blanket and build a kind of tent in front of the screen. Most of those early morning TV shows entertained me but after a while I’d become bored. One morning, I pulled on a handle under the screen and discovered a drawer. Inside was a record player with 45's stored along the side. Somehow I figured out how to turn it on and watched the small black disks spinning around. Finally, I swung the short stubby arm over and placed the needle on the record. Music came out and it was so strange to me at that time. There I sat in my tent listening and I felt as if I’d discovered a special mysterious private world.

Keith Brammer (Die Kreuzen)

The Stooges Funhouse
Isaac Hayes Hot Buttered Soul
Eno Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)
Kiss Alive!
Ramones Ramones
John Coltrane The Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Recordings
Primal Scream Screamadelica
The Rolling Stones Exile on Main Street
The Birthday Party Junkyard
Simon & Garfunkel Collected Works
This is in no particular order - subject to change at will. And lest we forget: Pere Ubu - Dub Housing; Cheap Trick - In Color; Nuggets box set; Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison; Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow; Germs - GI; Velvet Underground and Nico; Wire - Chairs Missing; Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain; Roxy Music - Siren

Burning Spear

I've listened to so many records over the years. I'll be listening to more African music more than reggae because it's so honest. Blues also. I listen to a wide mixture of music. There are so many artists today that are doing good reggae music. You hear so many different musics and sometimes I'm not familar with the names of these people. I think Israel Vibration is a good group. There's a lot of performers that are coming up. I saw Luciano performing in Europe. I also run into Ziggy (Marley) in Europe too. There are just so many people and I don't quite remember their names. I think we have some good music out there away from Burning Spear. A lot of them might get the chance or the opportunity.

Nick Cain (Oppobrium)

Pere Ubu The Modern Dance
Robert Wyatt Rock Bottom
The Dead C. Harsh 70s Reality
Alastair Galbraith Morse
Can Future Days
John Coltrane Meditations
Sonic Youth Bad Moon Rising
Borbetomagus New York Performances
Spontaneous Music Ensemble Karyobin
Frank Lowe Black Beings

Robert Christgau

Thelonious Monk Mysterioso
The Clash The Clash
New York Dolls New York Dolls
Steely Dan Pretzel Logic
Indestructible Beat of Soweto
The Rolling Stones Now!
The Beatles The Beatles Second Album
Debarge In A Special Way
Funky Four Plus One "That's The Joint"
Afrika Bambaataa "Zulu Nation Throw Down"
T.S. Monk "Bon Bon Vie"
There are fewer records from recent years because I have less time to listen to music in a pleasurable way. In order to be in this category, a record has to prove itself over a long period of time. Mysterioso is my favorite record of all time and the bonus CD tracks are great. I've listened to the Steely Dan a lot of time with my wife. The Stones album was the first record of theirs I bought even though I like Aftermath a lot too. All those singles from the early 80's mean a lot to me because it was special time in my relationship with my wife. I play those records 100s of times. In the nineties, Guitar Paradise of East Africa (compilation on Earthworks) is the record I play the most. It's my favorite Afro-guitar album, even more than Omona Wapi (by Franco and Rochereau). Somewhere I should also mention Chuck Berry, especially "Promised Land" and "Almost Grown."

Mark Clifford (Seefeel, Disjecta)

Shellac Live at Action Park
Shellac 1000 Hurts
New Order Power, Corruption and Lies
Neu! Neu!
Slint Spiderland
My Bloody Valentine Loveless
Can Anthology
Low Things We Lost in the Fire
Autechre Confield
Sonic Youth NYC Ghosts and Flowers

John Coxon (Spring Heel Jack)

Otis Redding Otis Blue
Nicolette Now Is Early
Can Ege Bamyasi
Peter Brotzmann Octet Machine Gun
Arvo Part Tabula Rasa
Olivier Messiaen Visions de L'Amen
Miles Davis Big Fun
Sibelius The Swan of Tuonela/Symphony No.9
Sly & The Family Stone There's A Riot Going On
Funkadelic Maggot Brain

Kevin Coyne

Robert Johnson King Of The Delta Blues Singers
Little Richard Greatest Hits
Elvis Presley The King Of Rock 'N' Roll
Chuck Berry The Chess Box
The Doo Wop Box: A Collection Of Vocal Group Records From The Fifties
John Lee Hooker House Of The Blues
Charlie Parker Parker's Moods
Kevin Ayers Singing The Bruise (BBC Recordings)
Captain Beefheart Shiny Beast
George Formby 24 Family Favourites

Chris Cutler (ReR/Recommended)

Rene Lussier Tresor De La Langue
This Heat Deceit
Magma Kohntarkhosz (live first part)
Lars Hollmer 80-88
Van Dyke Parks Jump
Haniwa Chan Kanishabali
John Oswald Plunderphonic
Dr. John Babylon
Beach Boys Pet Sounds
Fugs It Crawled Into My Hand, Honest
This is a today-only list restricted to rock type stuff that's not too recent and excluding ReR or anything I'm personally involved in. Here's 10 'classicals' too, again today only: Stockhausen Carre/Mikrophone 1, Stravisnsky Les Noces, George Antheil Ballet Mechanique, Messiaen Turangalila Symphony, Iancu Dumitrescu Edmn 1001, Frank Zappa London Symphony Orchestra Set, Varese (any collection)/Deserts, Agon Ensemble Czech New Music of the 60's, Kagel Orgel Mit Obbligati. For recent favorites (no ReR, no repeats), John Wall Alterstill, Peril Multiverse, Mikolas Chadima Pseudodemokritus, Andrea Rocca Heartsounds, Harry Partch Enclosure 2, Hi Speed Eroika Con Animac Plenetico, Phew Himitsu No Knife, Agon Ensemble Graphic Scores and Concepts, + 1+1=+, James Wood Village burial..

Holger Czukay (Can)

Brian Eno Apollo
Public Image Limited Metal Box
Bach Musical Offering
Schubert String Quartets
Jimi Hendrix Axis: Bold As Love
James Brown (anything/everything)
Stockhausen Gesang der Jünglinge
The Beatles "I Am The Walrus"
Philip Glass Koyaanisqatsi
The Velvet Underground And Nico
Apollo had many wonderful melodies, especially "Ending." I like Brian Eno because he's interested in very different aspects of music. Give me any tune of James Brown- it doesn't matter what. When I first heard James Brown, it was in the beginning of Can and Jaki said listen to this. Jaki said 'man, you should give up!' The biggest (rock) influence was "I Am The Walrus." The whole piece of music sounds like a radio tune. I must say that The Velvet Underground were my heros.

Delta Rhythm Boys (Carl Jones)

Ella Fitzgerald
Sarah Vaughn
Frank Sinatra
Nat King Cole
Shirley Horn
My favorite artists are my contemporaries because I knew them enough to know how they really grew along the way.

Bo Dollis (Wild Magnolias)

Professor Longhair
Neville Brothers
Solomon Burke
Donald Harrison "Mardi Gras Do Na Ne"

John Fahey

Mazzy Star So Tonight That I Might See
Stanley Brothers Earliest Recordings
Richard Jones
American Primitive Vol. 1: Raw Pre-War Gospel
Gerry Mulligan
Miles Davis
Dave Brubeck
Charlie Ventura
Rachmaninoff 'The Rock'
I got so many CD's that I can't think too well. I'm still listening to a lot of old blues.

Jad Fair (Half Japanese)

The Modern Lovers The Modern Lovers
The Shaggs Philosophy of the World
The Stooges The Stooges
The Velvet Underground and Nico
The Rolling Stones The Rolling Stones (first album)
I pretty much like the first albums by people. For more recent stuff, I like Iris DeMent quite a bit- her music is quite a bit different from most of the musicians that I'm around. I think she's very talented. Calvin Johnson too though he's been around for a long time. Grace Brown I think is very talented. Yo La Tengo is a fine band.

Mick Farren

Bob Dylan Blonde On Blonde
Rolling Stones Exile On Main Street
Elvis Presley Rock & Roll # 1
Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland
William S. Burroughs Call Me Burroughs
This is in no particular order- they tend to change each time someone asks. Favorite singles include Elvis Presley "Heartbreak Hotel," Gene Vincent "Be Bop A Lula," Bob Dylan "Like A Rolling Stone," Rolling Stones "Satisfaction," Sex Pistols "Pretty Vacant."

Andy Gill (Gang of Four)

Muddy Waters Best of
Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland, Band of Gypsys (it's got a straight funk thing on it)
The Velvet Underground and Nico (though there's some other great VU things)
The Band The Band, Music From Big Pink (they're really great songs, so accomplished and they're singing about stuff that nobody else sang about)
Bob Dylan Nashville Skyline
Bjork Homogenic, Telegram
David Bowie Young Americans

All these really modern records I'm picking out here! (laughs) There's an awful lot of crap records around, there always is. But there's usually some good stuff that pokes through also.

The Grifters

Rolling Stones Beggars' Banquet *
Rolling Stones Exile On Main Street*
Big Star Third*
Roxy Music Avalon *
Cocteau Twins *
Howlin' WolfMoanin' In the Moonlight *
Red Red Meat There's a Star Above The... **
Genesis Lamb Lies Down On Broadway **
Yes **
Jimi Hendrix **
* chosen by Scott Taylor
** chosen by Tripp Lamkins

David Grubbs (Gastr Del Sol, Red Krayola)

Mayo Thompson Corky's Debt to His Father
Blind Willie Johnson "Praise God I'm Satisfied"
Bob Dylan "I Want You"
Van Dyke Parks Song Cycle
Luc Ferrari Presque Rien No. 1
Pablo Casals' recordings of Bach's "Cello Suites"
Glenn Gould's final recording of Bach's "Goldberg Variations"
Duke Ellington "Solitude" (from Indigos)
The Beach Boys Pet Sounds
Derek Bailey Aida

Tom T. Hall

Johnny Cash " Don't Take Your Guns To Town"
Hank Williams "I Can't Stop Loving You", "Mansion On A Hill"
Marty Robbins "El Paso", "Don't Worry About Me"
Lefty Frizzell "I'm Not That Good at Goodbye"
Bob Dylan
"El Paso" is a good story song. I like "I'm Not That Good At Goodbye"- it never was a hit. I like all the beautiful old songs with an ending.

Butch Hancock

Bob Dylan Blonde on Blonde
Marty Robbins Gunfighters and Trail Ballads
Townes Van Zandt The Late, Great Townes Van Zandt
Jimmie Rodgers
Procol Harum "Lighter Shade of Pale" (my favorite song)

Jon Hassell

Pandit Pran Nath (anything)
Joao Gilbero AmOroso
Miles Davis
Gil Evans (anything)
Jimmy Scott
Maurice Ravel
Terry Riley
I've played AmOroso probably a thousand times in the last month. THE VOCAL PHRASING IS AMAZING. OF COURSE, There ARE lots of "ethnic" favorites but I don't listen to them because of "DEEP FOREST"-LIKE APPROPRIATION . I feel like a mother bird whose babies have been touched by humans and don't want to have anything to do with them anymore. IN GENERAL ,I'm not big on listening- I don't saturate myself with music. I TRY TO PREPARE FOR LISTENING EXPERIENCES SO THAT I CAN MAXIMIZE THE POSSIBILITY OF FRESH PERCEPTIONS. I SCARCELY EVER listen to my own WORK.

Charles Hayward (This Heat, Massacre, Quiet Sun)

The Who "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere"
Beach Boys Pet Sounds
Beatles Revolver
Terry Riley A Rainbow in Curved Air
Scott Walker Tilt
Kate Bush Hounds of Love
Sun Ra and his Intergalctic Research Orchestra Black Myth/Out In Space
Miles Davis Agharta
Magma Attahk
A Guy Called Gerald Black Secret Technology
Charles Ives "The Unanswered Question"
John Cage "Fontana Mix"
Moving Hearts The Storm
Christy Moore King Puck
Claude Flagel "L'Orchesographie de Thoinot Arbeau"
Gagaku - The Music of Japan UNESCO Collection
Velvet Underground and Nico
I've tried to cut this down to ten but I find it impossible and this doesn't include Coltrane or Satie or Feldman or Eno or Dylan's 'Time Out of Mind' or Duke Ellington, this is the best i can do.

Richard Hell

Bob Dylan
Anthology of American Folk Music
Miles Davis
The Red Bird Story (Lieber and Stoller's '60s label)
Dave Godin's Deep Soul Treasures Vol. 1
Beethoven 'Piano Sonatas #30, 31, 32'
Big Star Live
I couldn't give you a definitive list--that'd be a major undertaking, probably blow circuits in my brain- but these're from the stack that's kind of the top rotation the last month or two, and they're all great... Dylan's my all-time favorite. I knew him for the first electric records he made and I was so full of aggression myself when I first started playing music that I really didn't understand anything else. I wanted music that just RIPPED through you. Everybody, except people who are really ignorant, knows that Dylan's the fucking man. That new CD (Time Out of Mind) is so fucking good. He's in a class of his own. Miles is really dependable- he had a lot in common with Dylan in his approach of playing. Their sound is so different though. Dylan is about being rough and Miles is about being... gorgeous though he undermines that himself. You can recognize the sound of his horn immediately- it's heart-rending. I love Blind Willie Johnson on the Smith anthology- I got to get everything he did. On those soul collections, I really like Besse Banks who does the original 'Go Now' (later redone by the Moody Blues).

Milan Hlavsa (Plastic People of the Universe)

Lou Reed/John Cale Songs for Drella
U2 Pop
David Bowie Outside
Digital Underground
I really don't know what's happening here (in Czech Republic) with music. Usually, there are good, interesting bands playing around here but no names I can remember.

Randy Holden (Blue Cheer/Fender IV/Sons of Adam)

The Beatles "Fool On the Hill"
Dick Dale "The Victor"
Bob Dylan "All Along the Watchtower"
Rolling Stones "Gimme Shleter"
Blues Project "Goin To Loosiana"
Bob Dylan "Ballad of A Thin Man"
Aerosmith "Sing With Me"
Moody Blues "Nights in White Satin"
Hollies "Bus Stop"
Bee Gees "Staying Alive"

Peter Holsapple (Continental Drifters, the dB's)

The Stanley Brothers 16 Gospel Golden Hits - really amazing music and singing and songwriting
Fairport Convention Fairport Convention - a beautiful record
Big Star Radio City - a perfect record in so many ways
Judee Sills Heart Food - it's a very sad story about her but the music is gorgeous, religious stuff couched in poetry
MC5 Kick Out the Jams - a nice big noisy-ass record with the word 'motherfucker' on it

Linda Hopper (Oh OK, Magnapop)

Guided By Voices Alien Lanes
Pavement Terror Twilight
R.E.M. Up
The Stooges The Stooges
Tony Bennett Tony Sings Frank
Joni Mitchell Court and Spark

Ron House (Thomas Jefferson Slave Apartments)

Guided By Voice Mag Earwhig!
Mark Eitzel West
My Drug Hell This is My Drug Hell
Verbena Souls For Sale
Cheapo Crypt Sampler
Nick Drake
John Coltrane
Pere Ubu

Richard D. James (Aphex Twin)

Drexciya The Quest
Erik Satie 'Trois Gymnopédies'
Return of the DJ's
Squarepusher Big Loada
Luke Vibert Big Soup
Batucada The Sound Of The Favelas
Best of Acid 1
Ween Pod and Pure Guava
Les Baxter The Exotic Moods of Les Baxter
Serge Gainsbourg
Tod Dockstader 'Luna Park'
Drexciya are from Detriot, part of Underground Resistance- I really like them. Return of the DJ's is music from California- it's avant-garde hip-hop, taking it to another extreme with a lot of excessive scrathing and cutting up. Batucada are from South America with really, really fast rhythms with screaming and shouting with no songs. Best of Acid 1 is old school from '88 with all of these Chicago producers and acid tunes. I love Ween- I really, really like them and everything they do. I'm well into Les Baxter- a right weirdo. I have this double CD by Gainsbough that I like a lot with 'Lemon Incest' on it. I've got CD's by Nurse With Wounds and Harry Partch with me but I haven't listened to them yet.

Linton Kwesi Johnson

Charlie Parker Ornithology
The Wailers Burnin'
Bob Marley and the Wailers Survival
Count Ossie Groundations
Burning Spear Rocking Time
The Heptones The Heptones
King Tubby King Tubby Meets the Upsetter at the Grassroots of Dub
Lee Perry Super Ape
Otis Redding (everything)
Thelonious Monk Straight No Chaser

Glenn Jones (Cul de Sac)

Pink Floyd Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Miles Davis Agharta
Captain Beefheart Lick My Decals Off, Baby
Jimi Hendrix Axis: Bold As Love
John Fahey The Great San Bernardino Birthday Party
Various Anthology of American Folk Music
Karlheinz Stockhausen Hymnen
Love Forever Changes
AMM AMMusic 1966
Hans Reichel Death of the Rare Bird Ymir
I have only included those albums that were conceived of as albums and not collections of these artists' material. (For a "desert island" selection, I'd probably substitute the Love box set for any of their single albums, a temptation I have resisted here.) Also, no collections of 78s appear here, since they weren't conceived of as albums, regardless of how strongly I feel about the music. Kind of an arbitrary decision, I guess, but, thus no Blind Willie Johnson, Robert Johnson, Greek rembetika, American old-timey, the recordings of the first classical guitarist/composer ever to record (the astonishing Augustin Barrios), the Stanley Brothers' Rich-R-Tone recordings, etc. Likewise, though I'm a devotee of surf music, I could find no single album to include, though a number of surf music anthologies could have made the grade.

Tim Kerr (Big Boys)

Pharoah Sanders Black Unity
Fugazi Repeater
Sly and the Family Stone Dance to the Music
John Coltrane Africa Suite
Minutemen What Makes a Man Start Fires
Impressions (anything with Curtis Mayfield)
Makers Fuck you
Birds (english band)- anything
John Martyn Spencer the Rover
Nick Drake Pink Moon
That's off the top of my head. This is really hard for me because I listen to a lot of stuff all the time. This is my top 10 for today...

Wayne Kramer (MC5)

Temptations Live At the Rooster Tail
Missy Elliot Supa Dupa Fly
John Coltrane Ascencion
James Brown Live at the Apollo
Was (Not Was) What Up Dog?
The Temptations record is my favorite. Nobody knows about it and it hasn't been reissued on CD. It is really one of the highest energy, exciting live records. Not too many white guys here- most white guys suck. To be fair, I've played on Was(Not Was) records. Those are my guys and David (Was) is my bru-tha.

Tuli Kupferberg (Fugs)

Joni Mitchell
Bob Dylan
Lenny Bruce
Walt Whitman
William Butler Yeats
T.S. Eliot
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Ed Sanders
Frank Zappa
Other influences include Phil Ochs, Jerry Brown, Wilhelm Reich, Karl Marx, Peter Kropotkin, Joe Penner, Prof. Irwin Corey (even though he's a Stalinist), Noam Chomsky, Alexander Cockburn (though he's an arrogant and insulting egomaniac) and everyone else I've forgotten.

Keith Levene (Missing Channel, Public Image Ltd, the Clash)

The Beatles Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
Leonard Bernstein
David Bowie Outside, Station to Station, Low
Brian Eno Before and After Science, Another Green World
Gustav Holtz
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon
Stone Temple Pilots
Yes Relayer (that's an intense record)
There's so many, aren't there? I used to think that Steve Howe was God- the most incredible fucking guitarist there ever was. It's great that he's still with us and still doing it. There's also a bunch of hip-hop stuff that I love that I can't actually name.

Arto Lindsay

Sly and the Family Stone There's A Riot Goin' On
Al Green I'm Still In Love With You
Joao Gilberto White Record
Morton Feldman 'Piano and String Quartet' (recorded by Kronos Quartet)
Caetano Veloso (anything)
Billie Holliday Lady In Satin
Miles Davis Kind of Blue and On the Corner
Giacinto Scelsi
Little Jimmy Scott
I've been listening to a lot of hip-hop like Cool Keith and Wu Tang. Before I was listening to Tricky and Goldie. I think it's going through a really cool period even though a lot of it is commercial.

Lydia Lunch

Muslimgauze
Donald Byrd
Roland Kirk
Raeo
Yusef Lateef
Raeo are from Spain, their record will be available here in the States next year. All of these are instrumental because I find that with instrumetal music allows my brain the space to breath. I have too many words going through my head and flowing from my mouth. The last thing I need is more words spinning around my head. I really listen to music. Most people use it as a backdrop to their life. I love silence. I live on a giant park. I like hearing NOTHING. I like hearing the trees rustle. I'm already too exuberant.

Ian MacKaye (Fugazi)

Faith 'Subject to Change' 12"
Lungfish (anything)
Nina Simone 'Why? (The King of Love Is Dead)'
Jimi Hendrix 'Villanova Junction Blues'
James Brown Revolution of the Mind

Kawabata Makoto (Acid Mothers Temple)

Studio Der Fruhen Musik & Thomas Binkley Troubadours/Trouveres/Minstrels
La Maurache La Fete Sur Le Parvis Nostre-Dame
Quintetto Vocale Italiano/Angelo Ephrikian Carlo Gesualdo/Madrigali A Cinque Voci
Rosina De Peira E Martina IE
De Maire En Filha Terra Maire
The Charatans Contents
Grateful Dead Uncle John's Band Paris 1974 (bootleg)
Iannis Xenakis Oresteia
La Monte Young The Theatre of Eternal Music
Abba Arrival

Barbara Manning

The Clean Boodle, Boodle, Boodle
Able Tasmans Hey Spinner!
Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers
Richard and Linda Thompson I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight
Can Tago Mago
Verlaines Juvenilla
Red Crayola The Parable of Arable Land
3Ds Fish Tales or Swarthy Songs for Swabs
I would love to do a cover of 'Paperhouse' (Can) but I can't figure out the words. 'Stardust' is my favorite song- I want to do a cover of that someday but I don't think I'm good enough yet. It's a difficult song that needs to be done really well.

Christian Marclay

Serge Gainsbourg
MC Solar
Esquivel
Ornette Coleman
Martin Denny
Christof Migone
Sarah Mandelblut
Miles Davis
Los Mutantes
Tom Recchion
Among many others... Basically I like a lot of different things, I'm not a very discriminate consumer of music. Actually I don't listen to that much music. There is music for every situation in life, the context makes the music appropriate or not. Some of these people were featured on More Encores, and I've liked them over the years for so many different reasons. Gainsbourg has been an inspiration not just for his music but for his great words and his attitude. He was an entertainer but he did it by annoying people and still managed to stay popular. I love this picture disc that the band We put out on Asphodel, with different color bands or rings and each one has a different 'flavor' to it, it's one of the most original use of a record I've seen in a long time --and it's really a tool for DJ's to use.

Спойлер
Marlene Marder (Kleenex/Liliput)

Siouxsie and the Banshees Tinderbox
Sandy Shaw Best of
Zanna Agusarova (Russian singer)
James Chance and the Contortions
Texana Dames
Yoko Ono
Diamanda Galas

Keshavan Maslak

Charles Mingus Blues and Roots
Charlie Parker Charlie Parker with Strings
Gerry Mulligan with Chet Baker Reunion
Chet Baker Chet Baker Sings
Ray Charles Standards
Billie Holiday Lady in Satin
James Brown 40th Anniversary Collection
Vladimir Horowitz Horowitz in Moscow
Mozart Piano Concertos No’s. 21 & 23, Rudolf Serkin with London Symphony Orchestra
Sergey Kuryokhin Sparrow Oratorium
Here's my favorites AT THIS TIME not including some of mine. This list is random and not numbered by importance. You will notice that there are no avant-garde or free jazz recordings on this list. I hate listening to avant and free jazz stuff!

James McNew (Yo La Tengo)

Eno Here Come The Warm Jets
The Kinks Village Green Preservation Society
Beach Boys Pet Sounds
1/2 Japanese 1/2 Gentlemen Not Beasts
Skip Spence Oar
The Clean Compilation
Various Artists Beat of the Traps/ The Makers of Smooth Music
Sun Ra The Singles
Pere Ubu The Modern Dance
Mission of Burma Vs.

Mekons

Lee Perry *
Bentley Rhythm Ace *
Chumbawamba *
Edith Frost **
The Handsome Family **
Birddog **
* Chosen by Tom Greenhalgh
** Chosen by Jon Langford
Tom: 'I just listen to the radio a lot.' Rico Bell: 'I don't really listen to anything except what anyone gives me.' Jon: 'There's loads of stuff, especially on small independent labels. Chicago has lots of weird stuff coming out on small labels like Edith Frost and the Handsome Family. Birddog is really interesting.' Lu Edmonds: 'I mostly listen to cassettes because I've never managed to get a compact disc player. Right now, I like a lot of stuff from Benin and Nigeria with a lot of drums and vocals. You don't know what they're doing but it's great stuff. The radio channels in England are really rubbish though there's some good pirate stations.'

Richard Meltzer

Robert Wilkins The Original Rolling Stone (Yazoo) (he wrote "Prodigal Son," which the Stones covered; there's something of Ed Wood in him--whacked-out genius meets total over-reach--and he has some great things with only ONE CHORD)
Charlie Patton Founder of the Delta Blues; King of the Delta Blues (both on Yazoo) (the beginning of the whole line of Delta guitarists--he's so efficient at a basic, primitive level that he's everything that rock and roll would ever be)
Son House, tracks on Masters of the Delta Blues (Yazoo) (you could trace the vocal lineage from Charlie Patton to Son House to Howlin' Wolf to Captain Beefheart, it's pretty direct)
Rube Lacy, "Ham Hound Crave," on Mississippi Moaners 1927-1942 (Yazoo) (the smuttiest, most fully realized rock-and-roll evocation of hot-dang desire--"Mama, got a hambone, I wonder can I get it boiled"--1928)
Lil' Son Jackson The Complete Imperial Recordings (Capitol) (Texas blues guy who sounds like he's completely confused and miserable; his song "Rockin' and Rollin'" later became "Rock Me Baby")
Muddy Waters, lots of tracks on The Aristocrat of the Blues (MCA/Chess) (late '40's up to 1950, more stuff that the Stones listened to, the guitar on "I Can't Be Satisfied" is sheer madness the Stones never approached)
Lightnin' Hopkins The Herald Recordings--1954 (Collectables) (his most all-over-the-place electric playing, nobody in rock ever touched this, and they wouldn't try--it's too splattered, too make-a-mess...even as "Take this, motherfucker" it's not precise enough)
Little Walter His Best (MCA/Chess) (great photos of these got cuts on his face that look like he got 'em in broken bottle fights)
Magic Slim Black Tornado (Blind Pig) (still alive, in his 60s, there's something low-rent but also very personal about him, he adds his own slight wrinkle of a something to what remains of the Mississippi/Chicago guitar tradition)

I pretty much just listen to the blues nowadays. I got there from hearing some of the standout tracks on the Harry Smith Folkways box, and Dylan's Time Out of Mind, his first great thing since Blood on the Tracks...it's VERY in and about the blues. So I decided to really dive in, go back and check out these old scratchy 78s on CD reissues. Blues is a form that black people generally don't want to hear anymore--it reminds them of slavery or sharecropping or the Depression. It's a genre music now that mostly white people try to play, and not even as well as they used to. Look at the British Invasion--you had a bunch of white kids getting records that '50's white kids never heard. Which moved everything, pointed rock at a whole new range of sources. I never liked Clapton, though--he sounded like English Protestant church music. When I finally heard Freddie King, who was a source of surf music also, why bother with Clapton?

Glenn Mercer (Wake Ooloo/Feelies)

Stooges (tie) The Stooges & Funhouse
The Rolling Stones Beggars Banquet
The Beatles The White Album
Television Marque Moon
Neil Young Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
Patti Smith (tie) Horses & Radio Ethiopia
Jimi Hendrix Are You Experienced
Led Zeppelin Led Zeppelin I
The Who Who's Next
The Velvet Underground The Velvet Underground

Merzbow (Masami Akita)

East of Eden East of Eden
Van Der Graaf Generator H to He, Who Am the Only One
Brian David's Every Which Way (same)
Jethro Tull Thick As A Brick
Spontaneous Combustion Triad
King Crimson Earthbound
Warm Dust Peace For Our Time
Gentle Giant Acquiring the taste
Can Landed
Peter Green End of the Game

Paul D. Miller (DJ Spooky)

Kraftwerk
Xenakis
Afrika Bambaataa
Grandmaster Flash
Empire
Aphex Twin (early stuff)
Juan Atkins
Prince Paul (his production and engineering are brilliant. he's the biggest influence of all.)
Kenny 'Dope' Gonzalez

Moby

Bad Brains Bad Brains
Brian Eno On Land
Echo and the Bunnymen Heaven Up Here
Pantera The Great Southern Trendkill
Donna Summer Greatest Hits

Robert Moog

Wendy Carlos Switched-on Bach & Beauty in the Beast
Jan Hammer The First Seven Days
Emerson, Lake and Palmer Brain Salad Surgery
Frank Zappa Grand Wazoo
Rick Wakeman Six Wives of Henry the Eighth
Patrick Moraz I
Gil Trythall Country Moog
Clara Rockmore Art of the Theremin

The Monks (Gary Burger)

The Pretty Things Rage Before Beauty
The Pretty Things S.F. Sorrow
Anything by Beethoven
Jim Miller Amos
Mike Henderson & The Bluebloods First Blood
Delbert McClinton One of the Fortunate Few

Moondog (Louis Hardin)

Tchaikovsky 'Fourth Symphony'
Beethoven 'Fifth Symphony'
Wagner
Brahams
Philip Glass
Steve Reich
John Adams
Bach
Wagner made such an impression. Every Saturday afternoon, I used to listen to the operas on the radio from Iowa back in the '30's. I'm very friendly with Glass and Reich- at least we have tonality in common. I love Bach but he never analyzed his pieces- I'm sure he realized that there were a lot of mistakes in there. I'm sure he would have corrected him if he had the time but he had kids and wives to take care of.

R. Stevie Moore

Steven M. Phonography
Elvis Presley Elvis Is Back
Jack Nitzsche St. Giles Cripplegate
Spanky & Our Gang Without Rhyme or Reason
Chet Atkins Hi-Fi In Focus
Killing Joke What's This...For?
Pretty Things Parachute
Billy Anderson Immaculate Misconception
Ken Nordine Next!
White Noise An Electric Storm
These are R. Stevie's "30 Worst All-Time Albums in order of clearance." Also: Bo Donaldson & The Heywoods, early Pink Floyd, The Asylum Choir, Tupper Saussy, Nirvana, Mothers Of Invention, Crispy Ambulance, Hank Williams, Roxy Music, Master Musicians of Jajouka, Public Image Ltd., Beach Boys, Firesign Theatre, Buzzcocks, Moby Grape, Lou Reed, Malcolm McLaren, Half Japanese, Dukes of Stratosphere, Frank Sinatra

Ikue Mori

Les Baxter Exotic Moods of Les Baxter
Martin Denny Exotic Sounds of Martin Denny
Stravinsky 'Agon'
Bernard Herriman Great Film Music
Secret Museum of Mankind Vol. 3

Colin Newman (Swim/Wire)

Wallstar Gurnigan
Ed Rush/Nico Kilimanjaro
Shake Electron Rider
Acacia Hate (Nico Remix)
Paul W.Teebrooke Nova - E.P.
Klute Leo 9/Blackout
Nico (et. al) The black ones
Jeff Mills The Other Day
Bowery Electric Beat
Mimi Majick Mimi's Utilities
Various Freezone 3
ED NOTE: This is Colin's list for 1996- we also have his extensive full listing of favorites. 'We don't chart our own releases (Swim) as we regard this as a bit tacky!!!' As for the choices themselves, 'the dark jungle stuff (nico/ed rush etc.) is all over the press here now. The Bowery Electric album is getting big reviews (even in America). Freezone got in pretty much everything over here anyway (they sell a ton of them also). Some of the other stuff's a bit more obscure but with perhaps the exception of the Mimi one, most people we know would know this stuff.'

Babatunde Olatunji

Enrico Caruso
Mario Lanza
Luciano Pavarotti
Leontyne Price

I love opera. I like certain languages, like Spanish- it has rhythm. The Italian language has rhythm. The Russian language has some powerful words that you can take and enlarge and develop- it's very expressive. Anything that has rhythm that always fascinates me. I also like country music too, in the sense that it expresses the way people normally talk, which is a tribute to the South. That should be preserved. That's a living culture. I don't want to repeat that I love the blues but I can always tell you that.

Jim O'Rourke

Van Dyke Parks Song Cycle
Tony Conrad Outside the Dream Syndicate
John Fahey Requia
The Frogs The Frogs
Talk Talk Laughingstock
Luc Ferrari Tautalogos Trois/Interupteur
Arnold Dreyblatt Animal Magnetism
Philip Glass Einstein on the Beach
Scott Walker Tilt/Climate of Hunter/Til the Band Comes In
Iannis Xenakis Electro Acoustic Music
Other stuff: Henry Kaiser "Shadow Line" from Aloha and "It's a Wonderful Life" from It's a Wonderful life, all early Reich and Glass, Phil Niblock, all Fahey, all Derek Bailey, Cecil Taylor, Jack Nitsche, all early Parks, Ives, Stravinsky, mid-70's Morricone, late Nono, Devo's first 2 records, etc.

Abiodun Oyewole (The Last Poets)

Miles Davis Live at Carnegie Hall
Nina Simone In Concert
Doug and Jean Carn Infant Eyes
Jon Lucien Rashida
John Coltrane 'Kulu Se Mama'
Pharoah Sanders Tauhid
Lee Morgan The Sidewinder
Herbie Hancock Speak Like A Child
Wayne Shorter (early stuff on Blue Note)
McCoy Tyner Fly With the Wind
Infant Eyes put me to tears because I was in jail, thinking about my kid. It was like black opera. Rashida took me to the beach when I heard that, with his scatting. Trane didn't even know what he was doing, it was so beautiful. Speak Like a Child I take with me everywhere. This is really healing music and it's not being used. This should be used in hospitals. This is medicine here- it makes me and a lot of other people feel so good.

Mike Paradinas (u-Ziq)

Squarepusher Big Loada
Radiohead OK Computer
Verve A Northern Soul
Photek Modus Operandi
Return of the DJ's
These are recent favorites: I can't name any all-time favorites. I'd get it wrong. My favorite songs change all the time.

Mark Perry (Alternative TV)

Rolling Stones Exile On Main Street - my favorite album of all time, it's unbeatable, a band at the top of their form, just relaxed.
David Bowie Hunky Dory- that's the start of the whole glam thing- it's not out and out rock
Beatles Abbey Road- really superb- their last album effectively
Mothers of Invention We're Only In It For the Money- there's so many ideas in one album, it's so brilliant
The Who Quadrophenia- it's punk before punk. When I hear "Doctor Jimmy," I think 'that's me!' and it really moves me. Some of it sounds so underproduced and it works. Townshend's such an English songwriter
Can - I just like their music
Beach Boys Pet Sounds very moving, I appreciate well-made pop music
Kinks - I got all the reissues of their old albums
Pretty Things - great band
Raspberries 'Let's Pretend' and 'Overnight Sensation'

Robert Quine (Richard Hell & The Voivods)

Byrds Fifth Dimension
Velvet Underground White Light/White Heat
Bill Evans Trio Portrait In Jazz
Bill Evans Trio '64
Ritchie Valens (1st two albums)
Miles Davis Get Up With It
Charlie Parker Bird On 52nd Street
Grant Green Complete Quartets With Sonny Clark
Ricky Nelson Rockin' Roll with Ricky
Jimmy Raney Visits Paris I and II

The Residents

Harry Partch
Ennio Morricone
Nino Rota
Steve Reich- they are great admirers of his music, almost 100% of everything he's done
George Gershwin
Irving Berlin
Stephen Foster- they're big fans of his
James Brown
Hank Williams
Hardy Fox, Cryptic Corporation: "Originally when they did their American composers series, they made this long list of people who they felt like they had made contributions to American culture which were astounding, that's included James Brown and Hank Williams, Zappa, Beefheart, Scott Joplin. We happen to be very fortunate to live in a culture that's developed a lot of new music. They wanted to encourage people to notice how much good music is really around them all the time, not just music that happens to be currently popular."

Kimberley Rew (Soft Boys, Katrina and the Waves)

Kinks Something Else
Van Morrison Astral Weeks
The Beatles Abbey Road
Beach Boys "Good Vibrations," "Heroes and Villians"
Captain Beefheart Clear Spot
Brinsley Schwarz Best of (they were very influential)

Terry Riley

Bartok Concerto For Orchestra, Piano Concerto #3
Samuel Barber Piano Sonata
Pandit Pran Nath Ragas of Morning and Night
La Monte Young The Well Tuned Piano
Dimi Mint Abba Music Of Mauritania

Hans-Achim Roedelius (Cluster)

Maria Callas
Joni Mitchell
Captain Beefheart
Manuel de Falla
Camarron

John Storm Roberts (Original Music)

Bessie Smith, I.K. Dairo are some of my favorite performers. It's styles that I really love- I have a passion for the Cuban sonas of the thirites. Good salsa is something that really lifts the heart. Also Portugese fadou. I love south Indian vocal music more than north Indian, which concentrates more on technique than feeling. Certain recordings that I love certainly aren't the best of the period. I find that 20% of music I hear is superior, the rest is forgettable or bad. I like good heavy metal but I don't go to seek it out. I can't stand bad heavy metal just like I can't put up with bad New Orleans jazz. You could go through my catalog and see the things that I rave about but I really don't have a top 10 mentality about favorite music.

Dexter Romweber (Flat Duo Jets)

24th Prelude of Chopin
The Phantom "Love Me"
Jackie Lee Cochran "Georgia Lee Brown"
The Ventures "Runnin' Strong"
Elvis Presley King Creole Soundtrack
Beethoven's Walstein
Eddie Cochran Legendary Masters Series
Gene Simmons ("not THAT Gene Simmons") "Crazy Woman"
Ray Harris "Lonely Wolf"
Max Frost and the Storm Troopers

Michael Rother (Neu!)

Traditional "classical" music : Chopin (quiet piano pieces) / Japan: Kodo drummers / Portugal: Fado / India: a variety of instrumental and vocal music (tip : listen to Jeff Greinke’s version of "Im Glück" [from the A Homage to NEU! album] and then check out Salamat & Nazakat Ali [Ryko, HNCD 1332] / Bulgaria: Chants (Mystery of the Bulgarian Voices etc.)
'30s: Comedian Harmonists
'40s: Benny Goodman
'50s: Chuck Berry / Little Richard
'60s: Beatles (e.g. White Album) / Cream (e.g. Disraeli Gears) / Jimi Hendrix (all Experience albums)
'70s: Can (e.g. Monster Movie) / Cluster (e.g. Cluster II, e.g. "Im Süden") / Holger Czukay ("Persian Love") / Kraftwerk (Ralf & Florian, "Die Roboter") / Moondog / Terry Riley
'80s: Möbius & Plank (En Route) / Laurie Anderson
'90s: Seefeel / Tricky / Asmus Tietchens
There is no way I could deliver a "Top Ten" list of my all time favourites but maybe this absolutely incomplete list of music and musicians which come to mind right now helps. My musical taste is rather wide and I see a lot of interesting music all over the place in all kinds of genres, be it an electronic experimental sound from Hamburg or Manchester, "dirty" guitars from a L.A. garage, Fado music from Portugal or chants from Indian classical music, the critical issue is the genuineness and sincerity of the artist. In general I like to listen to music rather seldom, but then very intense. Last year I had a chance to see Tricky in concert and I was really impressed.

Bruce Russell (Dead C)

David Maranha Circunscrita
Alastair Galbraith Cry
Beck Midnite Vultures
Sonic Youth Goodbye Twentieth Century
Angus MacLise Braindamage in Oklahoma City
Oreledigneur S/t
Theatre of Eternal Music Day of Niagara
Bloggs Music for Multiples
Giacinto Scelsi Complete Works for Clarinet
Vibracathedral Orchestra Lino Hi

Ed Sanders (Fugs)

Charlie Mingus Mingus Ah Um
John Coltrane Blue Train
The Beatles Rubber Soul, Sgt. Pepper, The White Album
Sibahan McKenna
Brahms 1st Piano Concerto, 2nd movement
Hank Williams Songs of Faith and Inspriation
Stravinsky Rite of Spring
Joan Baez Joan Baez
McKenna was a great Irish actress of the 40s/50s. She had a wonderful album, reading Irish poetry. If I had all those, I could probably be on a desert island. I'd need a player too and a solar powered battery and headphones.

Kim Salmon (Scientists)

The Stooges The Stooges Everyone likes Funhouse, but I prefer the first album. It has a very flat production, sound like a very modern thing in a lot of ways, and its a lot more primitive than Funhouse. A big 'punk' influence.
Julie London Greatest Hits This sultry, cheesy, jazz singer from the late 50's early 60s. She had a hit with "Cry me a river." She had an image that was sort of like Ava Gardner but blonde and very sexy.
Shangri-La's Greatest Hits Because that represent that trashy-cheesy aesthetic that I love so much (laughs). Better than just about anybody.
Howlin' Wolf My favorite blues artist. Any record that has the track 'Smokestack Lightning'.
David Holmes Let Get Killed One of my all-time faves now. I love it. I love his sense of space.
Brian Eno Here Come the Warm Jets
Sly and Family Stone Fresh That would have to represent a lot of the funk in my music.
Hank Williams
Rolling Stones Exile on Main Street/Let it Bleed Everyone puts in the Beatles. They (the Stones) had this punk thing going, they couldn't really play, but they somehow grooved, they managed to do it anyway!
Miles Davis Kind of Blue like everybody else
Also: Suicide (both albums) and Sex Pistols Never Mind the Bollocks ("That's the one!")

Jim Sauter (Borbetomagus)

Muddy Waters Electric Mud
Albert Ayler It's A New Generation
Milford Graves Babi Music
Jimi Hendrix (anything)
Xenakis Perseplis
Captain Beefheart Lick My Decals Off Baby
Sex Pistols Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols
Ramones Ramones
The first four are favorites of the rest of the band that we all love. I love the Muddy record for all the wrong and right reasons. It's a hilarious record and personal to us all. The Ayler record is from his go-go period and it's funny. The Graves record is a straight ahead screamer. We're all Hendrix fans. The Xenakis is a personal favorite- it's a killer.

Klaus Schulze

J.J. Cale Naturally
Sibelius Finlandia
Ultravox Vienna
Tchaikovsky Pathetique
Richard Wahnfried Tonwelle
Carl Orff Carmina Burana
Steve Reich Music for 18 Musicians
Philip Glass Einstein on the Beach
Dvorak Carnival (Ouverture)
Kraftwerk Mensch-Maschine
This list is from an old Polish magazine from June 1983. As for now, 'As everybody else, I'm not much interested in other people's record collection. Just because I'm a musician, people have suddenly an interest in mine? I don't subscribe to that and I don't want to bother people with my momentary personal taste. Besides, this changes. Old music, new music... In fact, nothing special or outstanding.'

Paul Schütze

Julian Priester Love Love
Frederico Mompou Musica Callada (ECM version)
Can Future Days
Jon Hassell Aka Dabari Java
Miles Davis Get Up With It
Harry Partch Delusion Of the Fury
Robert Ashley Automatic Writing
Holger Czukay & Rolf Dammers Canaxis
Arvo Part Tabula Rasa
Can Ege Bamyasi
Ahh, the ten best albums dilemma. This is always a tough one. Could I qualify this by saying "at the moment," and "in definitely no particular order?" Just got to hope there are some good insects on my desert island to fill in the gaps left in the portable soundscape.

Andy Shernoff (The Dictators)

Beatles (everything ever recorded)
The Who Sell Out
Stooges Raw Power
AC/DC Highway to Hell
Beach Boys Today
Bruce Springsteen Tunnel Of Love
Rolling Stones Exile On Main Street
Kinks (everything up til Lola vs. The Powerman)
Ramones Rocket To Russia
Bob Dylan Slow Train Coming

Shonen Knife

Deep Purple Machine Head *
The Hollies Butterfly **
The Presidents of the United States of America The Presidents of the United States of America II *
Robyn Hitchcock (anything) **
Supergrass I Should Coco *
Green Day Dookie *
Weezer Weezer * (Michie liked this one too)
Teenage Fanclub Grand Prix **
* chosen by Naoko Yamano
** chosen by Michie Nakatani

Simeon (Silver Apples)

Fats Domino "The Fat Man," "I'm Walkin'," "Ain't That a Shame," "Blueberry Hill"
Wilson Picket "Mustang Sally," "Funky Broadway"
Jimi Hendrix "Are You Experienced," "Purple Haze," "The Wind Cries Mary"

Squarepusher (Tom Jenkinson)

Augustus Pablo Original Rockers
Tackhead Friendly As A Hand Grenade
Herbie Hancock Headhunters
808 State Newbuild

Peter Stampfel

The Anthology of American Folk Music
The Beatles Revolver
The Rolling Stones Between The Buttons
The Kinks Something Else
The Kinks Village Green Preservation Society
The Who The Who Sell Out
R.E.M. Out Of Time
Bruce Springsteen Born In the U.S.A.
Incredible String Band The 5000 Spirits or the Layers of the Onion

Lynda Stipe (Oh OK, Flash to Bang Time)

Ian Dury
Buzzcocks
Neutral Milk Hotel
Elf Power
Proclaimers
I don't actually listen to very much music because I don't want to get too clouded up and influenced.

Joe Strummer (The Clash)

Kool Keith Black Elvis/Lost In Space
Lost Boys For Life They're from Queens, I met them yesterday (September 1999).
Master Musicians of Joujouka Brian Jones Presents Not the Bill Laswell one. The Brian Jones one gets me going. They should put a warning sticker on that- it's gonna clear the room. Once at this guy's stag party, everyone was so pissed that I played that CD three times through before anyone noticed. I just sat there and thought 'that's great.' That's a Guinness record- playing it three times without anyone noticing!
Augustus Pablo King Tubby Meets The Rockers Uptown
Bob Dylan Bringing It All Back Home Bob fucking Dylan. I love all the mid-three so much: Blonde on Blonde, Highway 61 Revisted, Bringing It All Back Home.

Hubert Sumlin

Muddy Waters Real Folk Blues
Little Walter Blues With A Feeling
Wes Montgomery
Jimi Hendrix Are You Experienced?
Glen Miller
Benny Goodman
Big Bill Broonzy
Eddie Taylor
Charlie Patton

Howard Tate

Joe Tex
Wilson Pickett
B.B. King
Aretha Franklin
Jimi Hendrix- man, he can play
The Temptations
Janis Joplin- I thought she sang her heart out

Deniz Tek (Radio Birdman)

The Who Who's Next
Rolling Stones any from Beggars Banquet through Exile
James Brown Live at the Apollo
Blue Oyster Cult any of the first 4
The Stooges Funhouse or Raw Power
The Kinks Singles Collection
Capt. Beefheart and the Magic Band Clear Spot or Trout Mask Replica
Alice Cooper Love It To Death
Bob Dylan Blonde on Blonde, Highway 61 or Blood On The Tracks
King Crimson Larks Tongues in Aspic
Leaving heaps out here. It would have been much easier to go for the top 100 albums or the top 1000 singles. There's just too much great stuff out there... What are my top ten albums? The answer of course is 'It Depends.'

David Toop

Dr. John Gris-Gris
Toru Takemitsu Film Music Volume 4
Bo Diddley Go Bo Diddley
Alice Coltrane Universal Consciousness
The Beach Boys Ballads
Stockhausen Telemusik
Cich Cangkurileung Layung Kamari
Miles Davis On the Corner
John McLaughlin Devotion
Marvin Gaye I Want You
Really, it's impossible for me to list 10 albums as my all-time favorites. When I'm listening to something I really love then that's the best music in the world for the moment. But if I was stranded somewhere for two weeks with a few records, then these would make me happy.

Geoff Travis (Rough Trade/Trade 2)

The Smiths "This Charming Man"
Scritti Politti "The Sweetest Girl"
The Fall "Totally Wired"
Subway Sect "Nobody's Scared"
Bob Dylan "Visions of Johanna"
Van Morrison "Astral Weeks"
Tim Buckley "Blue Afternoon"
Everything But the Girl "Missing"
Young Marble Giants "Final Day"
Augustus Pablo "Pablo Meets Mr. Bassie"

James 'Blood' Ulmer

James Brown
Ray Charles
Tina Turner
Aretha Franklin
Ornette Coleman
Jimi Hendrix
I like everybody- you got to be an AWFUL person for me not to like you. Listening and chosing takes a lot of time. Some people take a whole lifetime listening to someone and trying to be like someone. You have to get to the level to chose something you really like. If you're clever, you can really do it. If I hear something one time, I can write a book about it! The harmolodic system is designed like that- it snatches things from the wall. You can notate whatever you hear and see as far as music being sight and sound. You have to be careful when you listen to people. I like music that makes me think. There's three types of music: one makes you think about the Creator, one don't make you think about the Creator and one makes you think about nothing.

Christian Vander (Magma)

John Coltrane Expression
Stravinsky "Rites of Spring"
Bach Bradenburg Concertos
Bartok "Concerto for Violin and Celesta"

Loudon Wainwright III

Bob Dylan Blonde on Blonde
Louis Prima The Wildest- Live In Las Vegas
Jim Kweskin Jug Band
Miles Davis Sketches of Spain
Guys and Dolls (original cast soundtrack)

Ashley Wales (Spring Heel Jack)

The Clash The Clash
Miles Davis Pangea
Gil Evans Out Of The Cool
Buzzcocks Singles, Going Steady
Iggy Pop Raw Power
The Beatles White Album
Blondie Parallel Lines
Sibelius Symphony No.9
Scott Walker Boy Child
JS Bach 48 Preludes and Fugues
Patsy Cline Greatest Hits

Miloslav Wanek (Uz Jsme Doma)

The Residents Commercial Album
The Residents Not Available
Ebbagon
Dunij Roso
Nicolas Lens
The Beatles
Omega
We use music as a dialog for people (rather) than having influences. It's more about aesthetics. Ebbagon is a melodic punk band from Sweden. Dunij is a Czech band named after a main river in Europe. Lens is a French/Belgium composer who's worked with the Bulgarian Choir, an orchestra and comptuers. For the Beatles, I like 'Hey Jude' and lot of stuff that Lennon did later. Omega is a Hungarian band- it's like a Hungarian Rolling Stones. They're from the 60s, they're a very old band. They were very famous in East Europe. They have nice melodies and screaming, which I use.

David S. Ware

Ornette Coleman Ornette On Tenor
Sonny Rollins Our Man In Jazz and The Bridge
Cecil Taylor Unit Structures
Archie Shepp Fire Music and On This Night
John Coltrane Meditations and Cosmic Music

Mike Watt

The Who Sell Out
Richard Hell Blank Generation
Bob Dylan The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
Blue Oyster Cult Tyranny and Mutation
John Coltrane A Love Supreme
Creedence Clearwater Revival Willie and the Poor Boys
Black Flag Nervous Breakdown
Husker Du Zen Arcade
Meat Puppets Up On the Sun
Roky Erikson The Evil One
When I put a picture of Hell on my bass, that was my line in the sand in Pedro. As a kid there was something really weird about Dylan and it really stuck with me in a way. Creedence's 'Up Around the Bend' is my favorite song- he didn't know which bend, he just wanted to get around it. He even has a four syllable word in that song! That's why I wear the flannel, because of him (John Fogerty). I like Erikson a lot- there's something about him, hard to put a finger on it. Really wild. Trout Mask Replica was a BIG inspriation to the Minutemen.

Jerry Williams (Swamp Dogg)

Maurice Chavalier "You Brought a New Kind Of Love To Me"
Swamp Dogg "Synthetic World"
Big Joe Turner "Corrine Corrina"
Dave Brubeck Quartet "Take The "A" Train"
James Taylor "Your Smiling Face"
Everything Aretha Franklin recorded for Atlantic
Sly Stone "Thank you Forlettinmebemyself"
Everything by George Jones
Ray Charles "Seems Like I Gotta Do Wrong"
Everything by Travis Tritt

NOTE: This is only a small part of a larger list that includes: Amos Milburn ("I'm Gonna Tell My Mama"), Wynonie Harris ("Bloodshot Eyes"), Larry Williams ("She Said Yeah"), Louis Jordan ("Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens"), Doris Duke ("How Was I To Know You Cared"), Guitar Slim ("Things I Use To Do"), Prince ("Little Red Corvette"), Big Joe Turner (Corrine Corrina"), Billy Vera ("At This Moment"), Frank Sinatra ("You Make Me Feel So Young"), Stevie Winwood ("Back In The High Life again"), Johnny Nash ("Stir It Up"), the Manhattans ("Shining Star"), Little Richard ("Tutti Frutti"/"Long Tall Sally"), Chuck Berry (everything on Chess), Conway Twitty (everything), James Brown (everything except on Mercury), Fats Domino (most recordings on Imperial), Buddy Johnson ("Mush Mouth"), Red Prysock ("Hand Clapping"), Jerry Lee Lewis ("Great Balls Of Fire"), Chaka Demas & Pliers ("She Don't Let Nobody"), George Strait (everything), Randy Travis (everything on Warner), Patty Loveless ("She Drew A Broken Heart") and Gene Watson ("At Last").

Christian Wolff

Thomas Tallis "Spem in Alium"
John Cage
Morton Feldman
Steve Reich (early work)
Philip Glass (early work)
Iannis Xenakis
Alvin Lucier
Allison Cameron
Tallis is a 16th Century British composer. "Spem in Alium" a setting of Biblical text and it's an extraordinary piece of writing. It's for 40 voice and each voice has its own part so it's a forty-part counter point. The result is a kind of sonarity like you've never heard before. I like Xenakis' percussion pieces, espeically as that's a lot of what I'm doing now. Cameron is a young Canadian composer- I just happened to hear her work and I was very impressed by it. I listen to a lot of different things and I'm sure that I'm going to leave somebody out but this gives you some kind of idea.

Robert Wyatt

Ornette Coleman 'Peace'
Carroll Thompson 'Hopelessly Without You'
Janet Kay 'You Bring the Sun Out'
Rose Royce 'Love Don't Live Here Any More'
Brenda Holloway 'Every Little Bit Hurts'
Nina Simone 'I Put a Spell On You'
Trevor Walters 'Love Me Tonight'
ED NOTE: this was actually culled from a British Magazine from the early '80s and reprinted in a biography called WRONG MOVEMENTS (SAF).

Otomo Yoshihide

Sakatomo Kyu
Ryoki Ikeda
Gastr Del Sol Upgrade and Afterlife
Toru Takemitsu
Ikube Akira
Christian Marclay
My favorite is always Kyu, he's the biggest pop singer from the '60's in Japan. Ikeda is a really big influence, +/- is a great record. I love Takemitsu's soundtrack work better than contemporary music. Akira is also a great soundtrack composer, especially with GOJIRA (Godzilla).