Запомнить
    Активный участник Аватар для zoman

Лу Рид и Патти Смит перепоют песни Бадди Холли

Лейбл Fantasy Records выпустит трибьют Бадди Холли, сообщается в блоге Pop & Hiss издания Los Angeles Times.

Альбом будет называться "Rave On Buddy Holly". В него войдут 19 каверов на песни Холли. Новые версии композиций музыканта подготовят Лу Рид, Патти Смит, Пол Маккартни, Modest Mouse и другие группы и исполнители. Полный треклист издания будет выглядеть так:

1. "Dearest" (The Black Keys)
    2. "Every Day" (Фиона Эппл и Джон Брайон)
    3. "It’s So Easy" (Пол Маккартни)
    4. "Not Fade Away" (Florence + The Machine)
    5. "(You’re So Square) Baby, I Don’t Care" (Си-Ло Грин)
    6. "Crying, Waiting, Hoping" (Карен Элсон)
    7. "Rave On" (Джулиан Касабланкас)
    8. "I’m Gonna Love You Too" (Jenny O.)
    9. "Maybe Baby" (Джастин Таунс Эрл)
    10. "Oh Boy" (She & Him)
    11. "Changing All Those Changes" (Ник Лоу)
    12. "Words Of Love" (Патти Смит)
    13. "True Love Ways" (My Morning Jacket)
    14. "That’ll Be The Day" (Modest Mouse)
    15. "Well… All Right" (Kid Rock)
    16. "Heartbeat" (The Detroit Cobras)
    17. "Peggy Sue" (Лу Рид)
    18. "Peggy Sue Got Married" (Джон Доу)
    19. "Raining In My Heart" (Грэхэм Нэш)

Альбом "Rave On Buddy Holly" поступит в продажу 28 июня 2011 года.

Американский певец и композитор Бадди Холли (настоящее имя - Чарльз Хардин Холли) считается одним из основоположников рок-н-ролла. Исполнитель погиб в 1959 году в авиакатастрофе. Ему было 22 года.

Чтобы увидеть ссылку вы должны зарегистрироваться
    Я английский бы выучил только за то, что на нём разговаривал Леннон

Местный
    VA – Rave On Buddy Holly (2011) Чтобы увидеть ссылку вы должны зарегистрироваться
    Спойлер
    Review
    by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

In some respects, Rave On Buddy Holly is a standard tribute album: it salutes a legend by rounding up classic rockers and hipsters to cover his canon, a practice that has been in place for nearly a quarter-century. In another regard, Rave On Buddy Holly is quite different. Encouraged by producer Randall Poster, the 19 artists involved do not settle for mere replications of Buddy’s hits, they play fast and loose, sometimes radically reinterpreting the original. Often, the effort is appreciated even when the rearrangement doesn’t quite work, as on Karen Elson's overly ornate “Crying, Waiting, Hoping” or Lou Reed’s turgid grind through “Peggy Sue.” Yet even if these particular cuts don’t click, they nevertheless sound faithful to both the artist and Holly, a trick that’s usually not pulled off on tribute albums yet often is here. This is as true of Nick Lowe’s casually straight-ahead “Changing All Those Changes” as it is of Florence & the Machine's “Not Fade Away,” which strips the tune of its signature Bo Diddley beat, and the pleasures of the album lie in discovering which direction an artist choose to follow: to discover Julian Casablancas turning “Rave On” into a Phrazes for the Young outtake, to hear Kid Rock try to wrestle “Well All Right” into the confines of a Stax stomper, to hear Modest Mouse work a handful of tempos into “That’ll Be the Day,” to hear Paul McCartney go inexplicably batty on his slow-grooving “It’s So Easy.”

1. Dearest – The Black Keys
    2. Every Day – Fiona Apple & Jon Brion
    3. It’s So Easy – Paul McCartney
    4. Not Fade Away – Florence + The Machine
    5. (You’re So Square) Baby, I Don’t Care – Cee Lo Green
    6. Crying, Waiting, Hoping – Karen Elson
    7. Rave On – Julian Casablancas
    8. I’m Gonna Love You Too – Jenny O.
    9. Maybe Baby – Justin Townes Earle
    10. Oh Boy – She & Him
    11. Changing All Those Changes – Nick Lowe
    12. Words Of Love – Patti Smith
    13. True Love Ways – My Morning Jacket
    14. That’ll Be The Day – Modest Mouse
    15. Well…All Right – Kid Rock
    16. Heartbeat -The Detroit Cobras
    17. Peggy Sue – Lou Reed
    18. Peggy Sue Got Married – John Doe
    19. Raining In My Heart – Graham Nash

An album of Buddy Holly covers is pretty daunting. He arguably invented rock ‘n’ roll before the age of 22. His backing band, the Crickets, supposedly inspired the Beatles’ name. And Rivers Cuomo looks just like him. Fortunately, the artists covering Holly’s biggest hits on Rave On Buddy Holly are allowed to interpret the songs however they want. Certain artists bring more of their personalities to the table—Paul McCartney’s spit-flying screaming on “It’s So Easy” and Patti Smith’s Spanish sweet nothings on “Words of Love”, for example—while others, like too-cute-for-school She and Him, stick to sunny ’50s pop on “Oh Boy”. A few, like Nick Lowe and Justin Townes Earle, celebrate Holly’s Texan roots with twang-y reverb. The most successful covers (splitting hairs, really, since they’re all creative and well-executed) turn the tables on Holly, drawing out the anger and pain behind the song’s original angst or singing the part of Holly’s object of affection.

Given his reputation as somewhat of an alcoholic, Strokes frontman Julian Casablancas was an appropriate choice to sing “Rave On” for the title alone. High-pitched and grungy guitars bolster his tragic falsetto for layers of texture, and the minor chords in the chorus tug at the listener’s heartstrings. Similarly, Cee Lo Green of “F-ck You” fame was an apt pick to sing the backhanded compliments on “(You’re So Square) Baby I Don’t Care”. He brings out the song’s sweetness with a calypso beat, but his clear tenor elucidates how, frankly, insulting the lyrics can be: “I wonder why I love you, baby/I guess that’s just because you’re so square”. Karen Elson’s ensuing version of “Crying, Waiting, Hoping” conveys the original song’s insane optimism and desperation with galloping fiddles. Even though she ostensibly recorded this song before her celebrated divorce from Jack White, that fact adds irony that probably never crossed Holly’s aching heart.

His songs almost always address a girl he wants but can’t have; so whenever female vocalists sing Buddy Holly, their versions respond to him. Jenny O. challenges Holly’s futile quest for affection with her sugary “I’m Gonna Love You Too”. By changing the gender in the song—“After all, another girl took you up” instead of “guy”—she wonders if he truly, madly, deeply wants to be with her or if she’s just another song title. Florence and the Machine twists that same sentiment on “Not Fade Away”: Her sexy, borderline sinister voice coaxes, “I’m gonna tell you how it’s gonna be/You’re going to give your love to me.” Backed by tubas and mechanical drum taps, Florence’s version is meaty and compelling (I’m more inclined to listen to her telling me what to do than Buddy Holly). On the more innocent “Everyday”, Jon Brion and Fiona Apple sing the only duet on the album. Their complementary voices mitigate the longing behind the album’s boys versus girls theme. The xylophone and handclaps in the background give one of Holly’s most popular songs a new, almost nursery-rhyme quality.

And let’s not leave the male vocalists out. Kid Rock’s soulful vocals on “Well All Right”, backed by Motown-worthy horns and bass, reminds the listener why Buddy Holly’s music famously won over an all-black audience at the Apollo Theater in the 1950′s. My Morning Jacket’s Jim James trades his full-throated yowl for a sweet warble on “True Love Ways” and Graham Nash takes depression to new heights on “Raining In My Heart”. Both artists eschew contemporary instrumental arrangements for, respectively, romantic 1940’s violins and piano chords that belong in a Nora Ephron montage. All the musicians on Rave On Buddy Holly run such a gamut that it’s hard to dispute Buddy Holly’s continuously far-reaching influence in music. At the same time, if these songs weren’t on a covers album, it would be easy to mistake them for a Lou Reed original or an old Modest Mouse track. Whether that speaks more for Holly’s talent as a lasting songwriter or these artists’ ability to contemporize classic pop will remain unknown. Until the Lou Reed covers album, of course.

Олдовый Аватар для Gambitka
    ooz2003, спасибо!