SAPE ERROR: Нарушена целостность данных при записи в файл: /var/www/kulikov/data/www/music-rock.ru/47f9cc627c06f1cbb4f6bd8389dacc73/links.db

1 3 3

:

zoman

Fantasy Records , Pop & Hiss Los Angeles Times.

"Rave On Buddy Holly". 19 . , , , Modest Mouse . :

1. "Dearest" (The Black Keys)
    2. "Every Day" ( )
    3. "Its So Easy" ( )
    4. "Not Fade Away" (Florence + The Machine)
    5. "(Youre So Square) Baby, I Dont Care" (- )
    6. "Crying, Waiting, Hoping" ( )
    7. "Rave On" ( )
    8. "Im Gonna Love You Too" (Jenny O.)
    9. "Maybe Baby" ( )
    10. "Oh Boy" (She & Him)
    11. "Changing All Those Changes" ( )
    12. "Words Of Love" ( )
    13. "True Love Ways" (My Morning Jacket)
    14. "Thatll Be The Day" (Modest Mouse)
    15. "Well All Right" (Kid Rock)
    16. "Heartbeat" (The Detroit Cobras)
    17. "Peggy Sue" ( )
    18. "Peggy Sue Got Married" ( )
    19. "Raining In My Heart" ( )

"Rave On Buddy Holly" 28 2011 .

( - ) --. 1959 . 22 .

VA Rave On Buddy Holly (2011)
    Review
    by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

In some respects, Rave On Buddy Holly is a standard tribute album: it salutes a legend by rounding up classic rockers and hipsters to cover his canon, a practice that has been in place for nearly a quarter-century. In another regard, Rave On Buddy Holly is quite different. Encouraged by producer Randall Poster, the 19 artists involved do not settle for mere replications of Buddys hits, they play fast and loose, sometimes radically reinterpreting the original. Often, the effort is appreciated even when the rearrangement doesnt quite work, as on Karen Elson's overly ornate Crying, Waiting, Hoping or Lou Reeds turgid grind through Peggy Sue. Yet even if these particular cuts dont click, they nevertheless sound faithful to both the artist and Holly, a trick thats usually not pulled off on tribute albums yet often is here. This is as true of Nick Lowes casually straight-ahead Changing All Those Changes as it is of Florence & the Machine's Not Fade Away, which strips the tune of its signature Bo Diddley beat, and the pleasures of the album lie in discovering which direction an artist choose to follow: to discover Julian Casablancas turning Rave On into a Phrazes for the Young outtake, to hear Kid Rock try to wrestle Well All Right into the confines of a Stax stomper, to hear Modest Mouse work a handful of tempos into Thatll Be the Day, to hear Paul McCartney go inexplicably batty on his slow-grooving Its So Easy.

1. Dearest The Black Keys
    2. Every Day Fiona Apple & Jon Brion
    3. Its So Easy Paul McCartney
    4. Not Fade Away Florence + The Machine
    5. (Youre So Square) Baby, I Dont Care Cee Lo Green
    6. Crying, Waiting, Hoping Karen Elson
    7. Rave On Julian Casablancas
    8. Im Gonna Love You Too Jenny O.
    9. Maybe Baby Justin Townes Earle
    10. Oh Boy She & Him
    11. Changing All Those Changes Nick Lowe
    12. Words Of Love Patti Smith
    13. True Love Ways My Morning Jacket
    14. Thatll Be The Day Modest Mouse
    15. WellAll Right Kid Rock
    16. Heartbeat -The Detroit Cobras
    17. Peggy Sue Lou Reed
    18. Peggy Sue Got Married John Doe
    19. Raining In My Heart Graham Nash

An album of Buddy Holly covers is pretty daunting. He arguably invented rock n roll before the age of 22. His backing band, the Crickets, supposedly inspired the Beatles name. And Rivers Cuomo looks just like him. Fortunately, the artists covering Hollys biggest hits on Rave On Buddy Holly are allowed to interpret the songs however they want. Certain artists bring more of their personalities to the tablePaul McCartneys spit-flying screaming on Its So Easy and Patti Smiths Spanish sweet nothings on Words of Love, for examplewhile others, like too-cute-for-school She and Him, stick to sunny 50s pop on Oh Boy. A few, like Nick Lowe and Justin Townes Earle, celebrate Hollys Texan roots with twang-y reverb. The most successful covers (splitting hairs, really, since theyre all creative and well-executed) turn the tables on Holly, drawing out the anger and pain behind the songs original angst or singing the part of Hollys object of affection.

Given his reputation as somewhat of an alcoholic, Strokes frontman Julian Casablancas was an appropriate choice to sing Rave On for the title alone. High-pitched and grungy guitars bolster his tragic falsetto for layers of texture, and the minor chords in the chorus tug at the listeners heartstrings. Similarly, Cee Lo Green of F-ck You fame was an apt pick to sing the backhanded compliments on (Youre So Square) Baby I Dont Care. He brings out the songs sweetness with a calypso beat, but his clear tenor elucidates how, frankly, insulting the lyrics can be: I wonder why I love you, baby/I guess thats just because youre so square. Karen Elsons ensuing version of Crying, Waiting, Hoping conveys the original songs insane optimism and desperation with galloping fiddles. Even though she ostensibly recorded this song before her celebrated divorce from Jack White, that fact adds irony that probably never crossed Hollys aching heart.

His songs almost always address a girl he wants but cant have; so whenever female vocalists sing Buddy Holly, their versions respond to him. Jenny O. challenges Hollys futile quest for affection with her sugary Im Gonna Love You Too. By changing the gender in the songAfter all, another girl took you up instead of guyshe wonders if he truly, madly, deeply wants to be with her or if shes just another song title. Florence and the Machine twists that same sentiment on Not Fade Away: Her sexy, borderline sinister voice coaxes, Im gonna tell you how its gonna be/Youre going to give your love to me. Backed by tubas and mechanical drum taps, Florences version is meaty and compelling (Im more inclined to listen to her telling me what to do than Buddy Holly). On the more innocent Everyday, Jon Brion and Fiona Apple sing the only duet on the album. Their complementary voices mitigate the longing behind the albums boys versus girls theme. The xylophone and handclaps in the background give one of Hollys most popular songs a new, almost nursery-rhyme quality.

And lets not leave the male vocalists out. Kid Rocks soulful vocals on Well All Right, backed by Motown-worthy horns and bass, reminds the listener why Buddy Hollys music famously won over an all-black audience at the Apollo Theater in the 1950′s. My Morning Jackets Jim James trades his full-throated yowl for a sweet warble on True Love Ways and Graham Nash takes depression to new heights on Raining In My Heart. Both artists eschew contemporary instrumental arrangements for, respectively, romantic 1940s violins and piano chords that belong in a Nora Ephron montage. All the musicians on Rave On Buddy Holly run such a gamut that its hard to dispute Buddy Hollys continuously far-reaching influence in music. At the same time, if these songs werent on a covers album, it would be easy to mistake them for a Lou Reed original or an old Modest Mouse track. Whether that speaks more for Hollys talent as a lasting songwriter or these artists ability to contemporize classic pop will remain unknown. Until the Lou Reed covers album, of course.

Gambitka
    RacCoon-City
    ooz2003, !

1. : 125
    : 21.06.2013, 23:33
  2. : 0
    : 04.05.2009, 19:35
  3. Long John
    : 0
    : 24.01.2009, 01:12
  4. Komandarm
    : 1